[389-users] Bug related to file descriptors

Jeremy A. Mates jmates at uw.edu
Mon Jan 10 18:37:13 UTC 2011

2011/1/10 Jazcek Braden <jazcek at gmail.com>:
> I am having an issue with running 398 server on fedora core 14 using
> the default packages (389 1.2.7.5-1).
>
> What is happening is that every once and a while a client gets
> disconnected with a T2 error, after that happens no new connections
> can be made to the server until the server is restart, all existing
> connections continue to work as expected.  Reading only the access log
> messages it looks like it might have something to do with the fd
> handle.  I only say this because once the first disconnect occurs, the
> conn number is incremented by the fd number isn't and any connection
> that tries to use the fd increment has an error.  I was wondering if
> any body can suggest the logging options on how to diagnose this
> better or if this is a known bug in this version of 389 server.  Below
> is an exceprt from the access logs.

I've seen a similar bug for the same 389 package versions running on
RHEL 5.5 systems, though only when the LDAP servers are exposed to
production traffic. Re-issuing the same search queries via a Net::LDAP
perl script has never reproduced the crash, even when the test script
is scaled up to or beyond production traffic levels and connection
numbers. Next up is replaying actual production traffic from a tcpdump
via new TCP connections...

The error message from a issue-a-query-every-minute monitoring script is one of:

IO::Socket::INET: connect: Connection refused - (at tcp connect time)
I/O Error Connection reset by peer - (at LDAP bind() time)

Jeremy