[389-users] Determine when a password is about to expire

James Roman james.roman at ssaihq.com
Fri Jan 21 15:16:50 UTC 2011

Most LDAP servers use a different schema than the Microsoft version and
work from the opposite direction. Try querying "passwordexpirationtime".
You can do a search for the specific password schema with the following
info: 2.16.840.1.113730.3.2.12  passwordObject

I think it is more common to:
1. administratively set the password on a user account
2. set the password expiration to occur immediately.
3. set the passwordGraceUserTime for a time period that allows the user
to log in solely to change their password.

However, you must explicitly program your site to gracefully handle this
situation (condition where passwordexpirationtime < now <
passwordGraceUserTime) , since the user's LDAP authentication attempt
against the directory will fail (with an error indicating the password
has expired).