[389-users] Determine when a password is about to expire

Noriko Hosoi nhosoi at redhat.com
Fri Jan 21 18:13:39 UTC 2011

harry.devine at faa.gov wrote:

> I can get the passwordexpirationtime value, but I'm unsure what you
> mean by "set the password expiration to occur immediately".  I'm
> coming from the Windows world, so I'm used to the "User must change
> password at next logon" checkbox.  I don't see that anywhere on the
> GUI, so I'm unclear how you set that.
Could this help ...?

http://docs.redhat.com/docs/en-US/Red_Hat_Directory_Server/8.2/html/Administration_Guide/User_Account_Management.html#Managing_the_Password_Policy-Configuring_the_Password_Policy
Set the password policies for how users can change their own passwords.

    *
      To require users to change their password the first time they log
      on, select the *User must change password after reset* checkbox.

          NOTE

      If users are required to reset their password, only the Directory
      Manager is authorized to reset the user's password. A regular
      administrative user cannot force the users to update their password.

http://docs.redhat.com/docs/en-US/Red_Hat_Directory_Server/8.2/html/Administration_Guide/User_Account_Management.html#Configuring_a_Global_Password_Policy_Using_the_Command_Line-Password_Policy_Attributes

*passwordMustChange* When |on|, this attribute requires users to change
their passwords when they first login to the directory or after the
password is reset by the Directory Manager. The user is required to
change their password even if user-defined passwords are disabled. If
this attribute is set to |off|, passwords assigned by the Directory
Manager should not follow any obvious convention and should be difficult
to discover. This attribute is |off| by default.