[389-users] Master caught in infinite loop

Daniel Fenert daniel at fenert.pl
Fri Nov 18 12:08:00 UTC 2011

Hi,

I'm using 389ds 1.2.5 with replication, my current setup:

Master
|     \
L1     L2
| \    |  \
S1 S2 S3  S4

L* - acting as slave to "master" and master to "S*"
S* - slaves to L*

>From time to time (usually few months between problems) we encounter
"master" going to some infinite loop.
After analyzing access log, it looks like it stops doing queries, and
accepts new connections until it runs out of fd's.
After that, it won't stop peacefully, only SIGKILL saves the day.

Workload:
Master is used only for updates, maybe 20 connections/s.
L* are used only for replication.
All bind's and search queries are targeted to S* which are read only.

With previous setup (less complicated), we've also seen this problem:
Master
|  |  |  \
S1 S2 S3  S4...

Is there a chance that upgrading to latest version will fix the problem?
Were there any fixes nearby? Upgrade will be complex as hell ;)

Error log from last problem:
 - Not listening for new connections - too many fds open
 - slapd shutting down - signaling operation threads
 - slapd shutting down - waiting for 120 threads to terminate
... SIGKILL ...
 - 389-Directory/1.2.5 B2010.012.2034 starting up
 - Detected Disorderly Shutdown last time Directory Server was running,
recovering database.
 - slapd started.  Listening on All Interfaces port 389 for LDAP requests

Number of fds: 4096.

--
Daniel Fenert