[389-users] Question on certificate storage

Rich Megginson rmeggins at redhat.com
Fri Sep 23 19:44:08 UTC 2011

On 09/23/2011 01:24 PM, Orion Poplawski wrote:
> I'm trying to setup MMR with another office site.  We're trying to connect
> over SSL, but my server gives the error:
>
> [23/Sep/2011:12:00:56 -0600] slapi_ldap_bind - Error: could not send bind
> request for id [cn=Replication Manager,cn=config] mech [SIMPLE]: error 81
> (Can't contact LDAP server) -8179 (Peer's Certificate issuer is not
> recognized.) 11 (Resource temporarily unavailable)
>
> I've added what I believe are the proper CA certs (it is a chain of 3) for the
> remote server to my directory server via the 389-console and manage
> certificates.
Did it have 3 in a single file, or 3 different files?
> However, I noticed that when I use certutil on the server to
> list the certificates, I don't see them:
>
> # certutil  -d /etc/dirsrv/slapd-cora/ -L
>
> Certificate Nickname                                         Trust Attributes
>                                                                SSL,S/MIME,JAR/XPI
>
> CA certificate                                               CT,,
> server-cert                                                  u,u,u
>
> I would have thought they would be stored in the same place.
They should be.
> If not, where
> are the one listed in the console stored?
Good question.
> Does it matter that they aren't
> showing up with certutil?
Yes.

Are these chained to a well-known root CA?  If so, you can add those to
the directory server CA certs list:
http://directory.fedoraproject.org/wiki/Howto:SSL#Viewing_the_list_of_built-in_CA_certs
> Anything else I can do to debug the SSL connection?
It may just be that if there is more than one CA cert in the file only
the first or last is added.