[389-users] How to tell when database backup has finished?

Noriko Hosoi nhosoi at redhat.com
Thu Apr 5 16:40:25 UTC 2012

You could search the task.with nstaskstatus attribute.

$ ldapsearch -LLLx -h localhost -p <port> -D 'cn=directory manager' -w
<pw> -b "cn=backup,cn=tasks,cn=config" "(cn=backup_*)" nstaskstatus

When the task is done, you'll see the "Backup finished." status:
dn: cn=backup_2012_4_5_9_35_35,cn=backup,cn=tasks,cn=config
nstaskstatus: Backup finished.

Another way would be checking the errors log, which logs the end of the
back up.
> [05/Apr/2012:09:32:09 -0700] - Backing up file 31
> (/var/lib/dirsrv/slapd-totoro/bak/totoro-2012_4_5_9_32_8/DBVERSION)
> [05/Apr/2012:09:32:09 -0700] - Backup finished.
Thanks,
--noriko