[389-users] What to do about windows sync when AD entries move out of scope

Rich Megginson rmeggins at redhat.com
Wed Aug 22 20:23:14 UTC 2012

On 08/22/2012 02:18 PM, Mark Reynolds wrote:

> On 08/22/2012 04:09 PM, Rich Megginson wrote:
>> Let's say you have a windows sync agreement
>> AD: cn=Users,dc=example,dc=com
>> DS: ou=People,dc=example,dc=com
>>
>> Let's say you also have another user container in AD:
>> cn=OtherUsers,dc=example,dc=com
>>
>> Let's say you have a user in AD in cn=Users in sync with a user in DS
>> in ou=People.
>>
>> What should happen if you move the user in AD from cn=Users to
>> cn=OtherUsers?  Should DS "disconnect" the entry (i.e. remote the
>> ntuser attributes) so the entry is no longer in sync?  Should winsync
>> do something else?
> Is it feasible to "mark" the entry as moved, or placed it in some kind
> of list, and then use a config option on whether to keep it in sync or
> not?

When we receive the AD entry in a search request, we will know if there
is a DS entry with the same userid, and whether or not the DS entry is
in sync (i.e. has the ntuser attributes).

Not sure what you mean by "mark" - maybe add some sort of attribute to
the DS entry that says "hey, this entry has the same userid as an entry
in AD but the AD entry is out of scope of the winsync agreement and/or
the DS entry is not set up to be a winsync entry"?