[389-users] Skipping entries on consumer initialize

Wes Hardin wes.hardin at maxim-ic.com
Tue Aug 28 17:31:01 UTC 2012

When initializing a consumer, I get many messages similar to this:

import userRoot: WARNING: Skipping entry "uid=davsmith,ou=win,ou=People,dc=maxim-ic,dc=com" which has no parent, ending at line 0 of file "(bulk import)"

It is believed that all affected entries had been moved within the directory using a moddn change in the past few months (using Apache Directory Studio).  I was just able to "break" another account by doing this same action and reinitializing my consumer.

Move entry:
#!RESULT OK
#!CONNECTION ldap://dalldap001.maxim-ic.com:389
#!DATE 2012-08-28T12:01:56.870
dn: uid=test4phy,ou=People,dc=maxim-ic,dc=com
changetype: moddn
newrdn: uid=test4phy
deleteoldrdn: 1
newsuperior: ou=bri,ou=People,dc=maxim-ic,dc=com

Re-init:
[28/Aug/2012:18:05:36 +0100] - import userRoot: WARNING: Skipping entry "uid=test4phy,ou=bri,ou=People,dc=maxim-ic,dc=com" which has no parent, ending at line 0 of file "(bulk import)"

Moving the account back to it's original location and reinitializing the consumer again "fixes" it.  The entry does not appear on the consumer until I reinitialize.

If I remember correctly, in the past, I was not able to do a moddn (A few months back I moved from 1.2.5 to 1.2.10).  Is moddn considered safe?  If I copy and paste the entry to the new location and delete the old entry manually, this works just fine.

I also get one instance of this message on each initialize:

import userRoot: WARNING: Skipping entry "nsuniqueid=2dca7101-594d11df-8622cf4b-918cdd63,uid=fxdtest,ou=chm,ou=People,dc=maxim-ic,dc=com" which has no parent, ending at line 0 of file "(bulk import)"

This one really confuses me since nsuniqueid isn't an entry, it's an attribute.  Even stranger is that the value of nsuniqueid in the error message does not match the current value:

dn: uid=fxdtest,ou=chm,ou=People,dc=maxim-ic,dc=com
createTimestamp: 20120827200045Z
creatorsName: uid=whardin,ou=dal,ou=people,dc=maxim-ic,dc=com
entrydn: uid=fxdtest,ou=chm,ou=people,dc=maxim-ic,dc=com
entryid: 13315
hasSubordinates: FALSE
modifiersName: uid=whardin,ou=dal,ou=people,dc=maxim-ic,dc=com
modifyTimestamp: 20120827200214Z
nsUniqueId: d2729e81-f08111e1-8cbef100-4e39c57a
numSubordinates: 0
parentid: 5877
passwordGraceUserTime: 0
subschemaSubentry: cn=schema

I have deleted and recreated this account in the past few days.  The value of nsuniqueid in the error message appears to be the value of the now deleted entry.

These are the packages on the server, which is CentOS 5.7:
389-admin-1.1.29-1.el5.x86_64
389-admin-console-1.1.8-1.el5.noarch
389-adminutil-1.1.15-1.el5.x86_64
389-console-1.1.7-3.el5.noarch
389-ds-base-1.2.10.4-5.el5.x86_64
389-ds-base-libs-1.2.10.4-5.el5.x86_64
389-ds-console-1.2.6-1.el5.noarch

The consumer is also CentOS 5.7, but slightly newer 389-ds:
389-admin-1.1.29-1.el5.x86_64
389-admin-console-1.1.8-1.el5.noarch
389-adminutil-1.1.15-1.el5.x86_64
389-console-1.1.7-3.el5.noarch
389-ds-base-1.2.10.13-1.el5.x86_64
389-ds-base-libs-1.2.10.13-1.el5.x86_64
389-ds-console-1.2.6-1.el5.noarch

--
/* Wes Hardin */
UNIX/Linux Systems Administrator, IT Engineering Support