[389-users] Protection of entries on downstream master or hub

Rich Megginson rmeggins at redhat.com
Thu Aug 30 19:07:00 UTC 2012

On 08/30/2012 12:52 PM, Lucas Sweany wrote:
> I would like to protect certain entries in a hub 389-ds host from
> getting obliterated during a full re-initialization of an agreement.
> Strange yes, but hear me out.
>
> To keep duty separation intact, we've set up a scenario where we've
> got one group managing Active Directory and one 389 server (389-A),
> and another group maintaining a 389 hub (389-B). 389-A syncs from AD
> one-way, and then replicates to 389-B.  However, things like sudoers
> and posix attributes (uids and gids) are managed on 389-B for
> convenience. Unfortunately, the sudoers OU and uids/gids get destroyed
> if 389-A performs a re-initialization of the agreement--by design I'm
> sure.
>
> Is there a way to protect the sudoers OU and specific attributes of
> users on 389-B in this scenario? It looks like my options are to mess
> with fractional replication, ACIs, to meticulously back-up these
> attributes and restore them in the rare event we need to
> re-initialize, or to give up the convenience and have those attributes
> managed on 389-A.
>
> Is there no easy answer to this without giving up the ability to
> manage some things locally on 389-B?

Can you separate the data by suffix?  The unit of replication is a
database, so if you can create a sub-suffix in its own database, you
could replicate that separately.

https://access.redhat.com/knowledge/docs/en-US/Red_Hat_Directory_Server/9.0/html/Administration_Guide/Configuring_Directory_Databases.html