[389-users] UUIDs

Orion Poplawski orion at cora.nwra.com
Thu Dec 27 23:49:26 UTC 2012

On 12/27/2012 03:26 PM, Orion Poplawski wrote:
> Has any work been done towards supporting Apple OS X ldap schema in 389?  It
> seems like this is the latest OpenLDAP schema for Apple:
>
> http://opensource.apple.com/source/OpenLDAP/OpenLDAP-208.1/OpenLDAP/servers/slapd/schema/apple.schema
>

> Does anyone know of tools that would populate the various apple specific
> entries like apple-generateduid?
>
> Thanks!

One of the things pushing me down this road is that with Mountain Lion,
apparently accessing certain System Prefences would crash if the user didn't
have a "GeneratedUID" attribute.  See this for details:

https://discussions.apple.com/message/2070212

This highlights the crazy balkanization with LDAP that drives me bonkers.  So
the idea of every user having a UUID (which is what GeneratedUID is) seems
like a reasonable idea and might be useful in general for all users.  But we
end up with an "apple-user" schema with an "apple-generateduid" attribute that
will clearly be apple specific.

Apparently there is an RFC for an "entryUUID" attribute:

http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc4530

Which seems like an interesting idea.  Did this get anywhere?

Apparently there is an opends plugin:

http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E19476-01/821-0507/entry-uuid-plugin.html

--
Orion Poplawski
NWRA, Boulder Office                  FAX: 303-415-9702
3380 Mitchell Lane                       orion at nwra.com