[389-users] CMP operations against pwdPolicySubentry hanging

Iain Morgan Iain.Morgan at nasa.gov
Wed Feb 15 01:37:49 UTC 2012

Hello,

On a fairly frequent basis, one of my 389 DS servers hangs after certain
CMP operations. Once this happens, the server cannot be shutdown
gracefully. This has been going on for several weeks, and I have not yet
found a solution.

My setup consists of two systems running RHEL 6.2 with 389 DS 1.2.9.16.
Multimaster replication is enabled between the two servers, but the
client systems (currently just two test systems) preferrentially use the
same server, ServerA. The second server, ServerB, is the one which is
experiencing the problem.

We are using class-of-service entries to to set the values for the
shadowMax, shadowMin, and shadowWarning attributes. And we are
conditionally setting a pwdPolicySubentry attribute for some entries in
the same manner.

If I execute an ldapcompare command, such as the following:

# ldapcompare uid=imorgan,ou=People,dc=example,dc=com \
	pwdpolicysubentry:"cn=Special Policy,ou=Policies,dc=example,dc=com"

the command will occassionally hang. Most of the time, the command
succeeds and indicates that the attribute is not defined for that entry.
However, once or twice a day it will simply hang.

The access log shows that the CMP request was received, but no result is
logged. After this occurs, the server will not shut down gracefully. The
init script fails to shut down the server and I end up having to send a
SIGKILL to ns-slapd.

The error log does not report any issues.

CMP operations against other attributes, such as loginShell, do not seem
to exhibit this problem. Also, the problem does not occur on ServerA;
only on ServerB. Once the CMP operation has hung, comparisons against
other attributes, even shadowMax, continue to work.

As noted above, most of the time the CMP operation returns normally.
However, if I reinitialize ServerB from ServerA, the problem occurs with
the first CMP operation against ServerB.

Both servers have the same set of RPMs and the dse.ldif on both systems
do not have any significant differences.

Has anyone seen a similar issue? Any suggestions on how to debug of fix
this?

A somewhat simplified and redacted version of the class-of-service
configuration is listed below.

Thanks

--
Iain Morgan

dn: cn=Account Templates,ou=People,dc=example,dc=com
objectClass: top
objectClass: nsContainer
cn: Account Templates

dn: cn="cn=User Account,ou=People,dc=example,dc=com",
    cn=Account Templates,ou=People,dc=example,dc=com
objectClass: top
objectClass: ldapSubEntry
objectClass: extensibleObject
objectClass: cosTemplate
cn: cn=User Account,ou=People,dc=example,dc=com
cosPriority: 10
shadowMin: 1
shadowMax: 60
shadowWarning: 7

dn: cn=User Account CoS,ou=People,dc=example,dc=com
objectClass: top
objectClass: ldapSubentry
objectClass: cosSuperDefinition
objectClass: cosPointerDefinition
cn: User Account CoS
cosTemplateDN: cn="cn=User Account,ou=People,dc=example,dc=com",
    cn=Account Templates,ou=People,dc=example,dc=com
cosAttribute: shadowMin default
cosAttribute: shadowMax default
cosAttribute: shadowWarning default

dn: cn="cn=Special Account,ou=People,dc=example,dc=com",
    cn=Account Templates,ou=People,dc=example,dc=com
objectClass: top
objectClass: ldapSubEntry
objectClass: extensibleObject
objectClass: cosTemplate
cn: cn=Special Account,ou=People,dc=example,dc=com
cosPriority: 5
pwdPolicySubentry: cn=Special Policy,ou=Policies,dc=example,dc=com
shadowMin: 1
shadowMax: 60
shadowWarning: 7

dn: cn=Special Account,ou=People,dc=example,dc=com
objectClass: top
objectClass: ldapSubentry
objectClass: nsRoleDefinition
objectClass: nsComplexRoleDefinition
objectClass: nsFilteredRoleDefinition
cn: Special Account
nsRoleFilter: (&(objectClass=shadowAccount)(gidNumber=1000))

dn: cn=Account CoS,ou=People,dc=example,dc=com
objectClass: top
objectClass: ldapSubentry
objectClass: cosSuperDefinition
objectClass: cosClassicDefinition
cn: Account CoS
cosTemplateDN: cn=Account Templates,ou=People,dc=example,dc=com
cosSpecifier: nsRole
cosAttribute: pwdPolicySubentry default operational