[389-users] Need suggestions for email aliases in ldap

Orion Poplawski orion at cora.nwra.com
Wed Jan 18 23:49:03 UTC 2012

On 01/18/2012 04:24 PM, Arpit Tolani wrote:

>     I'm looking for suggestions on storing email aliases in ldap.  It seems that
>     sendmail has one schema and postfix a different one.  389 doesn't appear to
>     support either out of the box.  Are there any standardization efforts out
>     there?
>
>     Thanks!
>

> Try like below
>
> dn: sendmailMTAKey=testuser,dc=example,dc=com
> objectClass: sendmailMTA
> objectClass: sendmailMTAAlias
> objectClass: sendmailMTAAliasObject
> sendmailMTAAliasGrouping: aliases
> sendmailMTACluster: ldapter-cluster
>
> sendmailMTAKey: testuser
> sendmailMTAKey: tuser
> sendmailMTAKey: testu
> sendmailMTAKey: test.user
> sendmailMTAKey: test_user
> sendmailMTAAliasValue:test_user at example.com  <mailto:test_user at example.com>
>
> sendmailMTAAliasValue: user.tes
>
> replace the cluster name with the one you have mentioned insendmail.mc  <http://sendmail.mc>  file
>

> Once the above entries are added to ldap server, please test using sendmail -bv command and see whether it returns the correct results or not.
>
> Add the server address and basedn to /etc/openldap/ldap.conf file.

schemas that have application specific names in them (sendmailMTA*) make me
shiver.  Seems to defeat the purpose of a directory server.

I'm leaning towards using mailGroup as it does seem to be in 389 (though I
needed to make some changes there due to trying to implement ldap routing as
well) and as the postfix howto mentions it seems usable there too.  With
sendmail one does:

define(`ALIAS_FILE', `ldap:-k (&(objectClass=mailGroup)(mail=%0)) -v
mgrpRFC822MailMember')

Now if I can only figure out how to use /etc/aliases + ldap in sendmail, if
possible.

--
Orion Poplawski
NWRA, Boulder Office                  FAX: 303-415-9702
3380 Mitchell Lane                  orion at cora.nwra.com