[389-users] Question regarding Combining ObjectClasses to add attributes

Anderson, Cary@CIO Cary.Anderson at State.ca.gov
Mon Jul 9 15:44:17 UTC 2012

I have recently started working with the Director Server, and I have read the documents for both 389 and RHDS, but I am having some difficulties regarding ObjectClass types, and combining them in order to extend the available attributes for an object.  The documents indicate that you can only have one Structural ObjectClass and multiple Aux. ObjectClasses, and I'm a bit hazy on the rules for Abstract ObjectClasses.

If I take the example of needing to add the "host" attribute to a user object.  A RHN knowledgebase article indicates to add the "hostobject" ObjectClass rather than the "Account" ObjectClass.  My assumption was that "hostobject" was an Aux. ObjectClass, and that "Account" was Structural, but when I look at the two ObjectClasses via the administrative GUI, they both have "Top" listed as the parent ObjectClass.  So I'm not certain why one is appropriate and the other is not.

Moving forward I want to be able to combine ObjectClasses to extend available objects without introducing data integrity issues in my ldap directory.  I am looking for some clarification of rules regarding structural objectclasses, and if there is an easy way via the admin gui to tell the difference between structural, auxillary, and abstract objectclasses.  Also will the directory do some sort of intregrity checking if you attempt to combine improper objectclasses either via commandline or the admin gui?

Thanks

           Cary Anderson
              916.464.5108
Linux Support | Engineering Dept.