[389-users] Questions on 389 configuration

Alberto Suárez asuapaz at gobiernodecanarias.org
Thu Jul 12 10:13:03 UTC 2012

Hi,

I have finished configuring 389 on Centos 6.2. and it seems to work ok
now. Not a conceptually difficult exercise, but a very complex exercise
in practice, due to the many details that have to be born in mind which
either are not well documented (IMHO) or scatterd in several docs, plus
the tricky changes introduced by Centos 6.2.

My intention is to prepare a doc in spanish explaining how to set the
thing up from the beginning and make it available to anyone who needs it.

However I still have some doubts after having gone through the
installation an configuration of the product:

1. Autobind and LDAPI. From my understanding, Centos 6.2 wants you to
use SSL, but on the other hand there is LDAPI which is meant to be
faster and more secure. In my case, the client and LDAP will be sitting
on the same machine, so I do not see the point in using SSL as opposed
to ldapi. How do you configure 389 to use ldapi and not SSL? I enabled
LDAPI and configured Autobind following the instructions given in RHDS
9.0 documentation, but I do not se how it is (if it is) used.

2. Is there some doc that explains the various directives found in
/etc/pam_ldap.conf and /etc/nslcd.conf files? I have configured some in
order to get it to work, but I do not understand well its purpose. The
man page does not cover every directive and it is not quite explanatory,
anyway.

Thank you.

Alberto