[389-users] Replication broken after each service restart

Wes Hardin wes.hardin at maxim-ic.com
Thu Jun 28 20:53:13 UTC 2012

On 06/28/2012 02:41 PM, Rich Megginson wrote:
> On 06/28/2012 01:15 PM, Wes Hardin wrote:
>> To preface this, my issue began after upgrading from 1.2.5.x to 1.2.10.4 about a
>> month ago, but I did not immediate recognize the severity at that time.
>>
>> Upon upgrading, it was discovered that replication had ceased to replicate.  I
>> got a message saying the "suffix was not enabled".  I assume(d) this meant
>> replication was not enabled for the suffix and that I needed to enable it.  From
>> the 389-console, the "Enable Replica" box was checked and the Replica Role was
>> "Single Master."  I couldn't see any reason for the sudden failure and the
>> continued resistance against my attempts to synchronize my consumers.
>> Eventually, I unchecked "Enable Replica" and (automatically) deleted all my
>> replication agreements.  I re-enabled the replica and began recreating all my
>> agreements.  Replication resumed normal operation.
>>
>> It wasn't until today that I realized the problem still exists.  I rebooted my
>> single master yesterday and today found that replication had stopped again.  I
>> exported all my agreements to an LDIF then nuked and rebuilt all my replication
>> settings as I'd done after the upgrade.  Replication resumed.  Just to test my
>> theory, I then restarted the server again and once again broke replication.
>> Luckily I was prepared this time and was quickly able to recover.
>>
>> Here are some messages showing the rejected attempt to replicate.  The first is
>> an update, the second is an initialize.  Both seem to indicate replication is
>> not enabled despite evidence to the contrary.
>>
>> [28/Jun/2012:08:35:37 -0500] NSMMReplicationPlugin - Replication agreement for
>> agmt="cn=ausldap001" (ausldap001:389) could not be updated. For replication to
>> take place, please enable the suffix and restart the server
>>
>> [28/Jun/2012:09:31:00 -0500] NSMMReplicationPlugin - Total update aborted:
>> Replication agreement for "agmt="cn=mfnldap002" (mfnldap002:389)" can not be
>> updated while the replica is disabled
>> [28/Jun/2012:09:31:00 -0500] NSMMReplicationPlugin - (If the suffix is disabled
>> you must enable it then restart the server for replication to take place).
>>
>> I have noticed that I have a lot of entries whose DNs include escaped
>> characters, which I don't remember seeing before.  That is, \3D instead of '='
>> or \2C instead of ','.  For example:
>>
>> dn: cn=replica,cn=dc\3Dmaxim-ic\2C dc\3Dcom,cn=mapping tree,cn=config
>> objectClass: nsDS5Replica
>> objectClass: top
>> nsDS5ReplicaRoot: dc=maxim-ic,dc=com
>> nsDS5ReplicaType: 3
>> nsDS5Flags: 1
>> nsDS5ReplicaId: 7777
>> nsds5ReplicaPurgeDelay: 604800
>> cn: replica
>> nsState:: YR4AAAAAAADogOxPAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA==
>> nsDS5ReplicaName: 240eb382-c13b11e1-bf5ef100-4e39c57a
>> nsds5ReplicaChangeCount: 0
>> nsds5replicareapactive: 0
>>
>> But based on the following link, I guess that's to be expected.

> [...]

Thanks Rich, that did it.

It was a little easier said then done though.  Attempts to rename didn't work,
so I ended up deleting cn=dc\3Dmaxim-ic\2C dc\3Dcom,cn=mapping tree,cn=config
(and its child) and then realized I didn't know how to recreate it.  That was a
little exciting.

But I tested restarting the service and it looks happy.  Thanks again!

/* Wes Hardin */
UNIX/Linux Systems Administrator, IT Engineering Support
Maxim Integrated Products | Innovation Delivered® | www.maxim-ic.com