[389-users] Strange Disk IO issue

Brad Schuetz brad at omnis.com
Wed May 16 18:15:29 UTC 2012

On 05/16/2012 04:51 AM, Gregory Matthews wrote:
> On 15/05/12 19:22, Brad Schuetz wrote:
>> Of the 7 replicas, 5 are attached to one network, and 2 are on another
>> network.  The 5 are queried a LOT, the other 2 barely get any traffic at
>> all.  All, however, are getting the same traffic that they were getting
>> when I was using previous versions of the LDAP server.
>>
>> The 2 that are barely used I've checked for excessive queries being run
>> at the point when load goes crazy and they are getting the usual minimal
>> load.
>>
>> Also that doesn't explain why it's always 24 hours that it goes
>> haywire.  It doesn't matter when I restart the service, it could be
>> restarted at 2am, then in 24 hours it will go crazy IO load.
>
> do you know what the IO is? is it swapping? are you running collectl
> or similar so you can look at historic performance data?

It's not swap, and happens regardless of the amount of the ram in the
server.

I've run "sysctl -x 1" for random periods of time both before and after
the issue hits and the IO is very low, < 20% most of the time with is
typically < 5% usage.

But when the problem happens sysctl reports > 95% usage.

--
Brad