[389-users] Strange Disk IO issue

Brad Schuetz brad at omnis.com
Wed May 16 18:19:20 UTC 2012

On 05/16/2012 06:16 AM, Paul Robert Marino wrote:

> The exact timing of the issue is to strange is there a backup job
> running at midnight. Or some other timed job that could be eating the
> ram or disk IO. Possibly one that is reliant on ldap queries that
> would otherwise be inocuious.

It doesn't happen at midnight, it's 24 hours from when the process was
started, so I can restart dirsrv at 3:17pm on Wednesday and at right
around 3:17pm on Thursday that server will go to 100% disk IO usage.

I've restarted the servers at totally random times to reproduce this
issue, and currently restart, via cron, all my ldap servers twice per
day at randomly selected times of the day to make sure that both they
are restarted before the 24 hours hits, and so that no more than 1
dirsrv process is being restarted at the same time.

Keep in mind, the ldap queries load has not changed from the setup I was
running prior to this which was running (much) older versions of the 389
server software.  In fact, as part of this system upgrade, additional
servers were added to reduce the individual load on each server.

--
Brad