[389-users] samba+ldap

upen upendra.gandhi at gmail.com
Fri Nov 9 14:10:57 UTC 2012

Hello Dan,

On 11/9/12, Dan Lavu <dan at lavu.net> wrote:
> So I think you're missing one fundamental thing here. You still need to
> create the users in 389 to get this working correctly and have them show up
> in 'getent password', you might have to enumerate the users too. So adding
> the samba schema extends and adds the samba attributes to 389 but nothing
> is
> filling out the information
>
> For example,
> objectclass: sambaDomain
> objectclass: sambaUnixIdPool
> sambaDomainName: <YOURWORKGROUP>
> sambaSID: S-1-5-21-1803520230-1543781662-649387223 << You have to ask
> yourself what generates this?
>
> Nothing in 389 will, but smbpasswd -a will, so first make sure you can get
> userlist on your linux machine,
>
> getent passwd  -s ldap $userid
>
> Does the user show up? If it doesn't, configure your
> ldap.conf/nsswitch.conf/pam.d/* again or sssd.
>
> Dan

Well, 389-ds was already configured, so all posix users in the ldap
were able to login into this server because I had configured the
server as ldap client using nss_ldap libs being RHEL 5.8.

getent passwd pulls local as well as ldap users fine.

ldapsearch -x -Z '(uid=ugandhi)'
# extended LDIF
#
# LDAPv3
# base <> with scope subtree
# filter: (uid=ugandhi)
# requesting: ALL
#

# ugandhi, People, blah
dn: uid=ugandhi,ou=People,dc=abc,dc=def,dc=ghi
givenName: Upendra
sn: Gan
loginShell: /bin/bash
uidNumber: 200
gidNumber: 600
objectClass: top
objectClass: person
objectClass: organizationalPerson
objectClass: inetorgperson
objectClass: posixAccount
uid: ugandhi
cn: Upendra Gan
homeDirectory: /home/ugandhi

# search result
search: 3
result: 0 Success

# numResponses: 2
# numEntries: 1

 getent passwd  -s ldap ugandhi
ugandhi:*:200:600:Upendra Gan:/home/ugandhi:/bin/bash

So this part was always good (389-ds server and client and home
directory mounts via autofs)

Now my question is: Does the user need to exist in ldap (examlple
ugandhi above) and then smbpasswd -a ugandhi will work? I can ofcourse
try it myself but is that the way it is supposed to be?

I think I had worked on different implementation of SMB+OpenLDAP on
Ubuntu where smb-ldap utils package was also used and smbldap-useradd
would add the user in both samba and ldap and both places had uid/gid
fields matching for that user.

The howto above didn't mention that testuser was existing in 389-ds
directory, or did I miss that part? The ldapsearch for testuser does
show uidNumber and gidNumber. So probably testuser already existed in
389-ds directory and smbpasswd -a testuser added those additional
samba fields as you said in your email. Correct me if I am
understanding this incorrectly.

Thanks again.
Upen

--
upen,
emerge -uD life (Upgrade Life with dependencies)