[389-users] Multi-Theading writes to the same 389 Master Server

Jeffrey Dunham jeffrey.a.dunham at gmail.com
Wed Aug 21 02:39:07 UTC 2013

We have a customer that has been multi-threading behind multiple servers
and writing to our Master server.   These writes come in the form of heavy
spikes (1k over 5 second intervals) very much burst traffic and all the
writes are adding new items to the same ou.  While we have plans to
throttle them I had a few questions:

a) If they're writing to the same ou / updating the same indexes are they
blocked on one items success before another succeeds?  So in this case
multi threading behind multiple boxes does not give them any performance
impact.  I would guess this is the case, but I want to be sure.  Because
replication seems to be fine which goes through a single thread iirc.

b) are there any performance tweaks that can help?  I thought maybe looking
at *nsslapd-threadnumber.

*
-Jeff