[389-users] Attribute value ordering

Ludwig Krispenz lkrispen at redhat.com
Wed Aug 21 15:07:11 UTC 2013

On 08/21/2013 04:21 PM, Mitja Mihelič wrote:
> After a bit more time with the Console I changed the order of the
> attributes within the textbox(?) that displays the mail attribute values.
> Please see the attached screenshots.
> Ldapsearch output also confirms the new order. The change seems
> persistent, at least for now.
> I do not know what happened in the background.
>
> Do you think this could also be done from the command line?
you could do this with ldapmodify by doing
replace: mail
mail: mail1
mail: mail2
mail: mail3.

But be aware that there is no guarantee that this order does not change.
Although LDAP defines the values of an attribuet as set, which means NO
order, directory server tries to preserve the order the attribute values
have been added. But there may still be some cases eg in replication
where an entry is modified on different servers and update resolution
determines the valid set of values the order could be lost.

If you really want to have only one primary mail address, you should
only have one mail value and put the others into mailalternateaddress (
if your clients can handle that)

Ludwig