[389-users] DS performance settings while multi-mastering

Rich Megginson rmeggins at redhat.com
Thu Feb 21 18:19:09 UTC 2013

On 02/21/2013 11:11 AM, Patrick Raspante wrote:
> I was mostly curious if the difference in cache configurations has any
> negative effect on the integrity of the replication agreement between
> the directory instances.
>
> To illustrate, say one directory instance is managing several root
> suffixes and has increased cache settings. The other instance has
> default settings. The default instance is perfectly capable of
> operating on the replicated data-set and/or doesn't have the
> performance requirements of the other instance.

It depends where your requests are going.  If all of your servers have
an equal request load, then it makes sense to have the same cache
settings on all of your servers.

But I strongly encourage you to use the tool below to monitor your
usage.  Depending on your platform, how much RAM you have, how many
entries you have, etc.  you may need to decrease your cache settings to
save RAM, or increase to cache more entries.  To emphasize what David
Boreham said, if you can easily cache everything in RAM, in db cache and
entry/dn caches, then that will give you the very best performance.
Otherwise, better to let the OS file system cache work for you.