[389-users] Client ACI question

Ludwig Krispenz lkrispen at redhat.com
Wed Jan 2 14:31:18 UTC 2013

On 01/02/2013 11:41 AM, Matti Alho wrote:
>>> What is the correct way to use allow/deny because if I use default
>>> deny on ou=Projects..., it overrides allows.
>> deny always has precedence, it cannot be overridden by an allow rule. So
>> you should model your acis with allow rules (defining exceptions from
>> the default deny).
>
> So basically default allow and deny only entries that are confidential?
>
>>> 2. custom attribute
>>> Add a custom attribute somewhere and use that for ACI?
>>>
>>> I could use some concrete examples. I couldn't find any relevant
>>> guides or I'm just blind. :) Thanks for help.
>> you could look at  the examples here:
>> http://port389.org/wiki/Howto:AccessControl
>>
>> Either use an attribute in the entries you want to allow to be modified
>> and use a targetfilter to restrict the allow aci only to those entries.
>> Or use a userattr rule, like in the manager example.
>
> How would that translate in practise?
> What kind of ACI I would need to achieve the following:
>
> "uid=serveruser1,ou=ServerUsers,dc=domain,dc=com"
> ==> has access to
> "cn=Project1,ou=Projects,dc=domain,dc=com"
> AND
> "cn=Project2,ou=Projects,dc=domain,dc=com"
> ==> deny access to other entries in "ou=Projects,dc=domain,dc=com"
you could use targetfilter like:

(targetfilter = "(|(cn=Project1)(cn=Project2))"

to restrict application of the aci to these entries and list several useers in the bind rules, or

you could add na attribute like manager to hese entries, eg:
cn=Project2,ou=Projects,dc=domain,dc=com
manager: uid=serveruser1,ou=ServerUsers,dc=domain,dc=com

and create an aci like:
aci: (target="ldap:///dc=domain,dc=com")(targetattr=*)(version 3.0;acl "manag
  er-write"; allow (all) userattr = "manager#USERDN";)

If the attribute you're using is multivalued, it should work defining several users.

Ludwig