[389-users] 389-console LDIF export question

Michael Lang michael.lang at CTBTO.ORG
Thu Jun 27 10:57:26 UTC 2013

Dear all,

I would like to clarify how the procedure to "export -> LDIF" through
the 389-console GUI is done (or how if reproduce should be done).
As far as I've understood the exports on the server itself is done
through creating a appropriate entry in cn=export,cn=task,cn=config
For "remote" machines using the GUI this isn't valid as the nsFilename
attribute requires a local write able location. What I've seen through
looking at the
LDAP protocol queries done during an export-to-ldif on console machine
task is a query to the schema listing all attributeTypes which are then
sent as attribute-retrieve-list in the ldap search. At least that's how
I was able to reproduce the same LDIF from GUI-Console export and
manually. Is this correct and should this be done in that way ? (I've
noticed also the "Warning: If you don't have permissions" statement when
using the LDIF export in the Console which more-or-less ack's my approach)

thanks for any hint.
regards

Mike