[389-users] error log showing Detected Disorderly Shutdown on startup

Rich Megginson rmeggins at redhat.com
Tue May 28 14:34:39 UTC 2013

On 05/28/2013 04:57 AM, Vincent Gerris wrote:
> I encountered a similar issue.
> I got it when creating an index with the vlvindex command, which was
> apparently not correct.
Can you provide your vlv index configuration and the exact command line
you used?
> The index creation failed with a segfault and after that I could not
> start the server anymore.

Any time you get a crash, it will be most helpful to follow this:
http://port389.org/wiki/FAQ#Debugging_Crashes
So that we can get a stack trace and determine the cause
> I was also unable to do deletion of the index, since ldap was not up.

You can edit dse.ldif directly in this case.

> The error log showed also the rebuilding the database, with no
> percentages following.
Excerpts?
> I also tried deleting the vlv named file I found somewhere, with no succes.
vlv named file?
> Finally because of time pressure I just started over (by removing
> everything with remove-ds-admin.pl).
> I did find some selinux entry : SELinux is preventing /bin/bash from
> search access on the directory
> /var/lib/dirsrv/slapd-asahi/db/userRoot.
> This might have been a cause for the issue, but I am unsure.

Would be nice to know what generated this AVC.  What platform and what
version of 389-ds-base?

> I think this situation should somehow be fixable, but I had no clue how.
> Now I am off doing a reinstall and a re-import.
> Hope this helps anyone, if anyone knows what to do, please post :).

By now you are pretty far out in the weeds - not sure what state your
system is in.