[389-users] SINGLE MASTER REPLICATION.

Jan Tomasek jan at tomasek.cz
Sat Nov 2 14:36:40 UTC 2013

Hello Ezequiel

On 11/02/2013 02:55 PM, Ezequiel Larrarte wrote:
> Hi people, I'm trying 389DS for the first time. After reading
> documentation about posible replication scenarios, I ve decided to try
> the single master replication, which is very simple.
>
> I got it up and running between two servers: server1 (master -
> supplier), server2 (slave - consumer)
>
> I do not understand why this update works:
> * I open 389ds-console on server2 (slave - consumer)
> * Add a new user
> * The new user is replicated successfully to server1 (master - supplier)
>
> Consumers are supposed to be read only ... ???

LDAP has concept of referrer which is sort of redirection. If client
tries to modify replica, replica refuses and provides location where it
is possible to complete modification request.

Most clients do not understand referrers but 389 console does. Try
ldapmodify from command line you will see that it will fail.

You can disable this on your replica. Check referrals tab in
configuration suffix configuration.