[389-users] setup-ds-admin.pl --update and multiple masters

Rich Megginson rmeggins at redhat.com
Mon Nov 25 14:21:17 UTC 2013

On 11/23/2013 02:14 AM, Vesa Alho wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have the following setup:
>
> ldap1.example.com
> ldap2.example.com
>
> They are in Multiple Master configuration. After normal yum updates, I
> run setup-ds-admin.pl --update
>
> 1. What does this script actually do with --update parameter? Does it
> only update version numbers for Console?

It also tries to fix up any other missing or out of date information.

> 2. How do I update version numbers for the second MM? ldap2 is
> configured to use ldap1 as configuration server. Also netscaperoot and
> userroot have replication agreements both ways. So, I assumed that
> running "setup-ds-admin.pl --update" to
> "ldaps://ldap1.example.com:636/o=NetscapeRoot"

What does this mean, "setup-ds-admin.pl --update to
ldaps://ldap1.example.com:636/o=NetscapeRoot"?

The --update is supposed to update every directory server instance on
the machine.

> would update numbers to both MM servers. But it doesn't and if I try
> to use ldaps://ldap2.example.com:636/o=NetscapeRoot script gives
> "unknown error".

If ldap2 and ldap1 are on different machines, you must run
setup-ds-admin.pl --update on each machine.