[389-users] Indexes, looking for practical tips

Vesa Alho listat at alho.fi
Fri Sep 13 06:50:26 UTC 2013

Hi,

I would like to understand how to improve indexes in our current 389
servers. I have not yet touched default indexes settings. Entry cache
hit ratio for userRoot is 59%, which is fairly low if I've undestood
correctly? I've read the excellent guide
"https://access.redhat.com/site/documentation/en-US/Red_Hat_Directory_Server/9.0/html/Administration_Guide/Managing_Indexes.html",
but could use some practical tips.

1. binary data
* User photo has been stored in "jpegPhoto" attribute (binary). Does it
make sense index those and what kind index type to use?
* Would it make sense to index userPassword attribute, I assume no since
it's not indexed by default?

2. string data
There are some custom string attributes in use. Does some generic rules
exist what is good to index? Like, if attribute value doesn't change
often, it's a good candidate for indexing?

Sorry I'm new with indexes and performance optimization in general. Thanks!

-Vesa Alho