[389-users] 1.2.11.29 prediction?

Morgan Jones morgan at morganjones.org
Fri Apr 4 19:04:20 UTC 2014

On Apr 3, 2014, at 5:11 PM, Rich Megginson <rmeggins at redhat.com> wrote:

> On 04/03/2014 02:56 PM, Morgan Jones wrote:

>>> Yes, and we are working on fixing those issues in EL6.6.  So perhaps when EL6.6 is released you will be able to use the OS packages.
>> Rich et al,
>>
>> I've been following this thread with interest.   I am however a little confused about the right place and version to get 389:
>>
>> you make a distinction between the source version (versions 1.2.11.28 and 1.3.1.16).  Both are stable, 1.3.1 is just newer and potentially more bleeding edge?  1.3.1 also seems to not be available from either the OS or epel repositories.
>
> 1.2.11 branch is strictly maintenance - only the most critical patches.
>
> 1.3.1 branch is less strict - it may get new features.
>
> 1.3.1 is available for Fecdora 19.  1.3.1 will be in EL7.  We are not planning to provide it in EPEL7 at this time.

Thanks, that makes sense.

>> And if epel6 contains patches that have not been fully tested and I should avoid it in production but how do I get the admin server, console etc?
>
> There is a distinction between "epel6" and the official EPEL6.  What we call "389-ds-base" in "epel6" is not really the official EPEL6 repository.  It is an individual developer provided and supported fedorapeople (and now copr) repository strictly for those who want to (or must) be on the "bleeding" edge of the 1.2.11 branch - those who absolutely require bug fixes or features that are present in the upstream 1.2.11 branch, but are not yet in the official EL6.5 389-ds-base package.

I understand.   I didn't catch the distinction between "EPEL6" and "epel6."

Where is the (lowercase) epel6/copr repository?   I know I've seen the fedora people repository in the past but I can't for the life of me find it (or copr) now.  I see various pages but not the repository itself.

thanks for the clarifications,

-morgan