[389-users] LDAP import

Herb Burnswell herbert.burnswell at gmail.com
Fri Apr 11 00:51:34 UTC 2014

Thanks again for the reply Dustin.  I think I'm a little over my head
here.  I have cleared out all the previous data from
ou=CompanyA,dn=hq,dn=example,dn=com by going into the Directory Server
console, selecting the 'Directory' tab and deleting and re-adding
CompanyA under hq folder.  I can connect to it via LDAPadmin, but as
you can imagine, no data.

Here's my confusion, the old LDAP implementation from which I need to
import the data is Fedora DS 7.1 and the new LDAP implementation is
389 1.2.6.  So, the old one is much older and is has a different
'structure'.

In 7.1 in the Directory server console, Configuration tab, I have:

Data -

     - o=NetscapeRoot

          - NetscapRoot

     - o=CompanyA

          - o=CompanyA

In the 389 1.2.6 Directory server console, Configuration tab, I have:

Data -

     - dc=hq,dc=example,dc=com

          - userRoot

     - o=netscaproot

          - NetscapRoot

So, in DS 7.1 the top level is o=CompanyA

In 389 1.2.6 the top level is ou=CompanyA,dn=hq,dn=example,dn=com

The new 'top level' is what I'd like it to be but I need everything
underneath these 'top levels' to be identical.  My question is how can
I import the DS 7.1 o=CompanyA into the 389 1.2.6
ou=CompanyA,dn=hq,dn=example,dn=com?

Hopefully I have not completely confused the situation here.  I
greatly appreciate any suggestions on how to get this working
properly.

TIA,

Herb

Dustin Rice:

The better way would be using a tool on the OS that's like db2ldif
(pretty sure most netscape LDAP deriviatives come with these).

When you do a ldapsearch like that the server won't send along some
fields (password being one of them). If you run the db2ldif it'll spit
out an ldif file then you should be able to import it with something
like ldif2db or just an ldapadd.

Herb:

Dustin thanks for the reply.

I would need everything in:

o=companyA *dc=hq,dc=example,dc=com*

Everything appears to be imported as needed except the password issue.
 If I reset the passwords in the new implementation it's fine but that
won't work with 100's of users.

Is this:

*ldapsearch -b "o=companyA" -D "dc=hq,dc=example,dc=com" -h
**original_system > output.ldif*

*an acceptable way of exporting everything including passwords for
users or is there a better way?*

*Thanks again,*

*Herb *

Dustin Rice:

Well, schema would be like, the list of fields whereas it looks like you

might be doing a dump/load of users/groups?

*
>>* I'm attempting to import an LDAP schema (is that the correct term?)
*>* from one LDAP implementation to another and it appears that I may be
*>* doing it incorrectly.  I created a ldif file for import as:
*>>* ldapsearch -b "o=companyA" -D "dc=hq,dc=example,dc=com" -h
*>* original_system > output.ldif
*>>* I then used the GUI in the new LDAP implementation to import the ldif
*>* file.  Everything seemed to work find as I have the entire tree but
*>* there appears to be a problem with passwords.
*>>* Am I missing the passwords for users with this export to ldif file?
*>*  What is the proper procedure to import all information from a schema
*>* (is that the correct term?) to import into a new LDAP implementation?
*>>* Thanks in advance for any assistance,
*>>* Herb
*>>
>* --
*>* 389 users mailing list