[389-users] Only username as bind dn

Jonathan Vaughn jonathan at creatuity.com
Wed Jan 15 17:54:09 UTC 2014

If you want to be able to map the simple username "myUser" to say,
"uid=myUser,cn=Users,dc=mycompany,dc=net", you probably are best off using
SSSD to handle that.
SSSD can be configured to know where to search and how to apply the
supplied username to the search (i.e. to look for anything under
cn=Users,dc=mycompany,dc=net where uid=[the supplied username]).

SSSD in turn provides a PAM module to talk to the SSSD daemon itself, which
is where you can hook up your PAM passthrough authentication.

i.e., we use SSSD for SSO login to our Linux machines, and have the
following lines (in addition to the usual stuff) in our pam.d/password-auth
:

auth        sufficient    pam_sss.so use_first_pass
account     [default=bad success=ok user_unknown=ignore] pam_sss.so
password    sufficient    pam_sss.so use_authtok
session     optional      pam_sss.so