[389-users] Password synchronisation beetween openldap and AD 2008 R2

Petr Spacek pspacek at redhat.com
Thu Jan 16 17:17:18 UTC 2014

On 16.1.2014 17:07, Louis-Marie Plumel wrote:
> My environment is 99 % under linux and authentication is full LDAP.
You are a lucky man! :-)

> For some 30 workstations under windows, i had to create an AD under 2008
> R2. For some reasons, i have to synchronize password beetween LDAP and AD.
> Linux users will keep authentication on LDAP. (windows users are on LDAP
> AND AD, and if they want to change their password, they have to do this on
> LDAP. That's why i want to synchronise their password beetween LDAP and AD).

In that case you can use either 389 password synchronization (which is simpler
for initial configuration, I guess) or upcoming version of FreeIPA (v3.4).

=== Beginning of FreeIPA advertisement === :-D

FreeIPA is more heavy-weight but in long term it will ease you administration
of Linux machines.

With FreeIPA, you will have all your users in LDAP (FreeIPA's LDAP server) and
on the Windows workstation you will specify username as user at LINUXDOMAIN with
password used for LDAP/Kerberos and that combination will allow you log-in.

Nothing will be copied to AD but the authentication request will be routed
from Windows machine to FreeIPA server, the authentication will happen on the
Linux side, and the result of authentication will be sent back to the Windows
machine.

=== End of FreeIPA advertisement === :-D

Have a nice day!

Petr^2 Spacek

--
Petr^2 Spacek