[389-users] Replication hell - picking apart info/warning/error messages

Graham Leggett minfrin at sharp.fm
Sun May 4 14:16:16 UTC 2014

On 04 May 2014, at 4:00 PM, Justin Edmands <shockwavecs at gmail.com> wrote:

> What versions of all packages are your ABC running?

servera:

389-ds-base-1.2.11.28-1.el5
389-ds-base-libs-1.2.11.28-1.el5
389-ds-base-debuginfo-1.2.11.28-1.el5

serverb:

389-ds-base-libs-1.2.11.15-32.el6_5.x86_64
389-ds-base-1.2.11.15-32.el6_5.x86_64

serverc:

389-ds-base-1.2.11.15-32.el6_5.x86_64
389-ds-base-libs-1.2.11.15-32.el6_5.x86_64

> Has this all worked in the past? If so, any changes to structure?

Yes, no.

> Have you been able to initialize consumers from C (and have data appear)?

Don't understand the question. I want to take the data that is on A, and make it appear on C. Ultimately, both A and C want to be multimaster replicated.

> Random thought about C...what happens if you ;
> - initialize C from B or A (blowing away and rebuilding all data on C)

Been trying to do that for two days, I get the info/warning/error messages I posted originally.

> - allow C to complete
> - setup a new host as D
> - initialize D from C
> - after above completes, initialize C from D

I don't follow, I cannot get server C to replicate with A, how will adding a 4th server help?

> Are you attempting to restore the data from backup to C and then run throw C back into the replication loop? The error below make me think that you are leaving your replication agreements intact while you attempt to restore to C. This would potentially make A or B attempt to sync updates to C while C is restoring from backup.

No. C is empty, I am trying to get C populated by replicating from A.

> "WARNING: Import is running with nsslapd-db-private-import-mem on; No other process is allowed to access the database"
>
> Are you deleting all replication agreements from A B and C before starting to work with A --> C again?

No, and I'm terrified of breaking replication with B by fiddling.

Are you able to shed any light on the three questions I asked below?

>> I have a number of questions:
>>
>> - "Replica has a different generation ID than the local data." - what does this mean? Is it simply information to be ignored, a warning to be heeded (if so, how?), or an error (if so, what action must be taken?).
>>
>> - "ERROR bulk import abandoned". I am assuming this means that the replication failed, but it gives no indication as to *why* it failed. Anyone know of a way to coax a reason out of 389ds?
>>
>> - "NSMMReplicationPlugin - replica_replace_ruv_tombstone: failed to update replication update vector for replica". Again, is this purely for information, is this a warning, is this an error, what should I do in response to this?

Regards,
Graham