[389-users] db2bak.pl error with changelogdb

Richard Megginson rmeggins at redhat.com
Thu May 15 13:32:34 UTC 2014

----- Original Message -----
> David,
>
> Thank you so much for the 3 replies.  They are VERY illuminating and helpful
> for me to now press ahead and better address my own particular needs based
> on our “requirements”.  What I now intend to do is to perform, at regular
> intervals, db2bak to a specific directory.  as i would like to convert the
> bak db to ldif, it doesn’t appear there is a relatively easy way to do this…

You can use the dbscan tool to convert the id2entry.db4 file in the backup to an "ldif-ish" format.

dbscan -f /path/to/backup/id2entry.db4 > db.ldif-ish

I say "ldif-ish" because it mostly looks like ldif, except the formatting is off.

The biggest issue is that the full DN is not stored as the "dn:" attribute in the ldif.  Instead, it is the RDN of the entry, and at runtime, the entryrdn.db4 index is used to construct the full DN.  I think there may be operational attributes like entrydn in the dbscan output that you might be able to use for the dn.  Otherwise, you'll also have to dbscan -f /path/to/entryrdn.db4 and parse the output to perform your own mapping of rdn + parentid to the full DN.

> either i’d have to mockup a new config dir to reference the bak db as the
> real db so db2ldif will work

That also might work.