[389-users] Sort control: can I sort by an attribute without a schema (using extensibleObject)

Noriko Hosoi nhosoi at redhat.com
Tue May 20 17:50:25 UTC 2014

Graham Leggett wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am currently trying to add a sort control to an LDAP query, but the attribute I am trying to sort on isn't defined in the schema - the attribute exists as the object has extensibleObject.
>
> I am getting a NamingException from our code, and the 389s log reports error 12 as below. Is what I'm trying to do possible?
Unfortunately, not.  You need to have a syntax definition to use the
server side sorting. Note: you could do sorting in the client side
without schema.
$ man ldapsearch
        -S attribute
               Sort the entries returned based on  attribute.  The
default  is  not  to  sort
               entries  returned.   If attribute is a zero-length string
(""), the entries are
               sorted by the components of their Distinguished Name.
See  ldap_sort(3)  for
               more  details.  Note that ldapsearch normally prints out
entries as it receives
               them. The use of the -S option defeats this behavior,
causing all entries to be
               retrieved, then sorted, then printed.