[389-users] Stuck in read only mode

Chris Taylor Chris.Taylor at corp.eastlink.ca
Wed Sep 10 17:23:04 UTC 2014

I am having an issue where I have two 389-ds servers stuck in read only mode. I am running version 1.2.11.15 in an MMR setup. I had created a new OU and imported a bunch of user accounts via ldif file which was successful. Then I went  and tried to create a create a browsing index (via the GUI console).

This eventually timed out and I had to manually close the window. I then went and did the same thing on my other server not thinking anything of it. I now see that both systems are stuck in read only mode.

I can't seem to put them in write mode via the GUI and the only thing that I have in the error logs is the following.

Backend instance: 'userRoot' is already in the middle of another task and cannot be disturbed.

What are my next steps? Do I just restart slapd, go back in and turn off read only mode (if possible). Or is there a way to kill this hung-up index task.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Chris