[389-users] CORE creation is not working

Rich Megginson rmeggins at redhat.com
Wed Feb 18 16:25:03 UTC 2015

On 02/18/2015 09:12 AM, Jordan, Phillip wrote:

> So a few weeks back we installed the CORE RPM and we were able to get
> a test core file on our Dev environment, but dev is 1.2.11.15-32, and
> in prod we are unable to get the core to generate with version
> 1.2.11.15-48.

That's a good thing, right?  That is, perhaps the crash has been fixed
in -48?

> We have had two failure where the dirsrv hangs and becomes
> unresponsive and need to get a CORE to see what is causing the issues.

AFAIK, there is nothing about debugging crashes (i.e. getting core
files), or debugging hangs other than what's here:
http://www.port389.org/docs/389ds/FAQ/faq.html#debugging-crashes

> When we installed the CORE RPM here are the additional setting we put
> in place:
>
> sysctl -w fs.suid_dumpable=1
>
> and ulimit -u unlimited

Right.  See above.

> Can anyone suggest a reason for the CORE file not getting generated or
> why we can do a test core in Dev and not in prod?  Also any know
> issues with the dirsrv service stopping or hanging with the -48 version?

It's possible that the -48 version has a problem with hanging.  See the
Debugging Hangs section in the link above and provide stack traces.