[389-users] changelog configuration in MMR environment

Noriko Hosoi nhosoi at redhat.com
Thu Jul 2 00:10:54 UTC 2015

On 07/01/2015 04:55 PM, William wrote:
>>> Do the settings under cn=changelog5,cn=config (such as nsslapd
>>> -changelogmaxage) have an effect on newer MMR environments?
>> Yes, they do.
> Glad to know that.
>
>>> The
>>> documentation seems to indicate that the values under cn=changelog5
>>> are
>>> only related to the older replication mechanisms.
>> Which documentation are you reffering?
> https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en
> -US/Red_Hat_Directory_Server/8.0/html/Configuration_and_Command_Referen
> ce/Configuration_Command_File_Reference
> -Retro_Changelog_Plug_in_Attributes
> -nsslapd_changelogmaxage_Max_Changelog_Age.html
Thank you, William!

Are you running RHDS8?  It is quite old...  I'd recommend the latest
version which is RHDS 10.
https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-US/Red_Hat_Directory_Server/10/html/Configuration_Command_and_File_Reference/index.html

> Because it's under the retro_changelog_plugin section, and the
> discussions of retro changelog is described as:
>
> "T he Retro Changelog plug-in configures Directory Server to maintain a
> changelog that is compatible with
> the changelog implemented in Directory Server 4.0, 4.1, and 4.1x.
> Maintaining a retro changelog is
> essential to maintain a changelog for directory clients that depend on
> a Directory Server 4.x-style
> changelog."
>
> In the administration guide.
Retro changelog is a separate plug-in.  Despite of the name "retro", it
is still useful to store the change logs in the database independent
from new/old replications.

    dn: cn=Retro Changelog Plugin,cn=plugins,cn=config
    objectClass: top
    objectClass: nsSlapdPlugin
    objectClass: extensibleObject
    cn: Retro Changelog Plugin
    nsslapd-pluginPath: libretrocl-plugin
    nsslapd-pluginInitfunc: retrocl_plugin_init
    nsslapd-pluginType: object
    nsslapd-pluginbetxn: on
    nsslapd-pluginEnabled: off
    nsslapd-pluginprecedence: 25
    nsslapd-plugin-depends-on-type: database
    nsslapd-plugin-depends-on-named: Class of Service

cn=changelog5,cn=config is the changelog being used in MMR --
cn=Multimaster Replication Plugin,cn=plugins,cn=config.