[389-users] Migrating from openldap/slapd to 389

Mark Reynolds mareynol at redhat.com
Thu May 14 15:09:05 UTC 2015

Hi Bobby,

See comments below...

On 05/14/2015 09:24 AM, Bobby Krupczak wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Hey, I'm sure you guys are tired of folks asking this question but
> I've spent the last day searching the InterWebs and still have
> questions.
>
> I'm fixing to switch from openldap/slapd to 389 for ldap
> authentication for linux and samba clients.  I want to run the 389 dir
> service on the same system as slapd.
>
> - Is the switch as simple as turning on the 389 server, turning off
>    slapd, and importing my user account objects into 389 via a ldif?
Sort of.  You need to make sure that the 389 DS is correctly configured,
and the LDIF files are imported.

https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-US/Red_Hat_Directory_Server/9.0/html/Administration_Guide/Configuring_Directory_Databases.html#Configuring_Directory_Databases-Creating_and_Maintaining_Suffixes

https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-US/Red_Hat_Directory_Server/9.0/html/Administration_Guide/Configuring_Directory_Databases.html

> - If I'm only using slapd for "standard" login accounts and passwords,
>    do I still need to import any schemas from slapd?  (It looks like
>    389 has the same basic schemas)
This depends.  An easy to verify this is to just try to import the
LDIF(s).  If you don't see any schema/objectlcass errors then you know
you are good to go.  You can check the errors log for this
(/var/log/dirsrv/slapd-INSTANCE/errors).

> - I've used slapcat and ldapsearch to create ldif files of my user
>    objects.  Do I need to munge these ldif entries in order to import
>    them into 389?
You can specify multiple ldif files when using the ldif2db command:

https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-US/Red_Hat_Directory_Server/9.0/html/Administration_Guide/Populating_Directory_Databases.html#Populating_Directory_Databases-Importing_Data

You might need to set access permission on your database as well (like
anonymous access, etc).

https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-US/Red_Hat_Directory_Server/9.0/html/Administration_Guide/Managing_Access_Control.html

> - I didnt see specific instructions for enabling and turning on the
>    web admin interface for 389.  Is it turned on automatically when I
>    start 389 server?
This is the 389-admin/389-console package, it is separate from the
389-ds-base package

https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-US/Red_Hat_Directory_Server/9.0/html/Administration_Guide/admin-server.html

> - Is the switch transparent to linux/unix ldap clients or will I need
>    to go re-configure them?
I'm not sure, I don't think you will need to do anything.

Regards,
Mark