[389-users] DS crashed /killed by OS

Mark Reynolds mareynol at redhat.com
Mon Nov 2 14:52:27 UTC 2015

On 11/01/2015 08:50 PM, William Brown wrote:
> On Thu, 2015-10-22 at 17:48 +0000, Fong, Trevor wrote:
>> Hi German,
>>
>> Thanks for your suggestion.  I’m happy to confirm that setting
>> userRoot’s nsslapd-cachememsize: 429496730 (1/15th of previous value
>> of 6 GB) has addressed the memory issue for now, and % Mem for the ns
>> -slapd process seems to be at a manageable level.
>>
>> Thanks very much,
>> Trev
>>

> As I understand it, the fragmentation is due to the use of fastbins.
> see man mallopt M_MXFAST for an explination.
>
> You may be able to reduce fragmentation with the setting nsslapd-malloc
> -mxfast, but you may see a (potentially severe) degredation in
> performance. As I understand the value is by default 64 on a 32 bit
> system, and 128 on a 64bit one, so perhaps try reducing it by half and
> see if that helps.
>
> I'm not sure if this is a supported option either so you may not wish
> to enable it. You should always try changes like this on a non
> -production system first.
Well we have not seen any significant improvement modifying the fast
bins(M_MXFAST).  So while it can slightly reduce fragmentation,
unfortunately it's not really a solution.  Now using a different memory
allocator, like jemalloc, has shown significant improvements in memory
size/fragmentation.  Checkout:

http://www.port389.org/docs/389ds/FAQ/jemalloc-testing.html

The only issue is that jemalloc is not available on all platforms
yet(especially older versions of RHEL/fedora).

Mark