[389-users] multimaster replication and index corruption

Ghiurea, Isabella Isabella.Ghiurea at nrc-cnrc.gc.ca
Tue Nov 10 00:47:14 UTC 2015

Hi Rich,
Thank you for your feedback , as always greatly appreciate when comes from  389-DS RH support.
We are  not using vm just plain hardware, here is the description  I  got from developers team related to the issues they are seeing when running   integration tests with multimaster replication : "index corruption: put content, run tests: OK, do more stuff (reads, writes, etc), ru tests: FAIL, notice "missing attributes", rebuild index(ices), run tests: OK. "
Unfortunately, I understood  this   cases/issue can not be reproduce on regular basis,  no mode details can be provide at this time

All reads and writes are going to  only the master replication DS, not slave .
  I totally agree with your this is the way to cfg and maintain Directory  Server in a operation critical  env: multmaster replication only one master for writes.
 Here is the DS version:
 rpm -qa | grep 389-ds
389-ds-console-doc-1.2.6-1.el6.noarch
389-ds-base-libs-1.2.11.15-34.el6_5.x86_64
389-ds-1.2.2-1.el6.noarch
389-ds-base-1.2.11.15-34.el6_5.x86_64
389-ds-console-1.2.6-1.el6.noarch

Thank you
Isabella

FWD:

We have cfg multimaster replication /fractional replication memberof plugging excluded , we are seeing from time to time index corruption with some indexes , there is a strong feeling from developers this are related to DS multimaster replication internal settings.
What version of 389?  rpm -q 389-ds-base
I'm assuming you are not using IPA.
What does "index corruption" mean?  What exactly do you see?

Are you running in virtual machines? If so, what kind? vmware? kvm? Are you using virtual disks or dedicated physical devices/paravirt?

We are writing to only one DS , same server at all time but reading from all DS 's cfg for mutlmaster.
Are you seeing "index corruption" on the write master or on all servers?

Are other people seen this kind of issues with multimaster rep cfg , should we start avoiding this replication cfg at all ?

This is the recommended way to deploy. If this is not working for you, either you have a configuration problem, or there is some sort of vm or hardware problem, or there is a serious bug that requires fixing ASAP.

We choose the multimaster for the fast and reliable option to switch between master DS's , moving one step down to master/slave may require some down time when switching DS's back.
Isabella

Hi Rich,
Thank you for your feedback , as always greatly appreciate when comes from  389-DS RH support.
We are  not using vm just plain hardware, here is the description  I  got from developers team related to the issues they are seeing when running  tests with multimaster replication  :index corruption: put content, run tests: OK, do more stuff (reads, writes, etc), ru tests: FAIL, notice "missing attributes", rebuild index(ices), run tests: OK.

I belive we the reads and writes right now are only the master replication DS , not slave .
I totally agree with your this is the way to cfg and maint DS in a operation env: multmaster replication with one master for writes.
More comments , imput I appreciate
 rpm -qa | grep 389-ds
389-ds-console-doc-1.2.6-1.el6.noarch
389-ds-base-libs-1.2.11.15-34.el6_5.x86_64
389-ds-1.2.2-1.el6.noarch
389-ds-base-1.2.11.15-34.el6_5.x86_64
389-ds-console-1.2.6-1.el6.noarch
389-dsgw-1.1.11-1.el6.x86_64