Ada for Fedora ARM

Björn Persson bjorn at xn--rombobjrn-67a.se
Wed Jan 9 14:47:28 UTC 2013

Julian Leyh wrote:
> I would be very interested in getting gnat working on Fedora
> ARM. Currently, the gcc.spec only enables it for x86, x86_64, ia64, ppc,
> ppc64, and alpha.
>
> Is anybody working on enabling it for ARM?

Not that I know of. I'm afraid I won't have time for that myself
anytime soon. (Have you asked the ARM SIG?)

> If not, what would be the best way to start doing this? Cross-compile
> Ada-enabled GCC from x86(_64) Fedora for bootstrapping gnat? Or
> cross-compile from Debian/ARM, which already has ported gnat?

Both of those methods should work in theory as far as I know. I don't
know which would be easiest in practice.

Once you have a working compiler you need to get a binary package into
Koji temporarily (which I'm not sure how to do), and talk to Jakub
Jelinek about enabling the new platform in gcc.spec. Then ask Panu
Matilainen to add the new platform to GNAT_arches.

I'll make the necessary changes in directories.gpr if you can tell me
what "uname -i" outputs on ARM systems and whether libraries should be
in /usr/lib or /usr/lib64. I currently have "arm" there but I suspect
it's not that easy.

Björn Persson