Packaging GTKada 3

Björn Persson bjorn at xn--rombobjrn-67a.se
Thu Jan 16 20:53:49 UTC 2014

pavel at zhukoff.net wrote:
> Do we have many packages which depend on GtkAda. I *think* gnatcoll
> should be recompilled with v3 (not sure tbh).

On Adacore's download page there's a README that says this:

| This version of GNATCOLL is not compatible with GtkAda 3.x. If you are
| using that version, you should be configuring with:
|
|      ./configure --without-gtk ...
|
| It will however work properly with GtkAda 2.x

There's also Mine Detector. An attempt to compile Mine Detector with
GTKada 3.4.2 failed because it uses some subprograms that have been
removed. I don't know how many other problems would show up if those
were solved.

> Is it possible to use something like alternativities for it? It
> should be able to maintain symlinks... Or both GtkAda2.x and
> GtkAda3.x cans provide GtkAda (more usefull packages is more
> preffered).

With Alternatives only one of the libraries would be active at a time,
and it's a system-wide setting. Switching between them would be similar
to just removing one package and installing the other.

Environment modules would be better suited for this, but I think it
would take considerable work as the upstream build system doesn't
support this. I also don't know if environment modules can be set up
such that the library is enabled by default when only one version is
installed.

I think my time is better spent packaging something else, but I can
accept a co-maintainer who wants to develop and maintain a solution.

Björn Persson