[fab] Google's Summer of Code 2006

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Sun Apr 16 16:00:30 UTC 2006

On Sat, 2006-04-15 at 18:11 -0500, Patrick W. Barnes wrote:
> Google has just announced that they will sponsor the event again this
> year.
> Will we participate again?

The question is how are we doing now with the projects we SoC'd last
year?  Where are the developers we paid to do work?  How
maintainable/sustainable is the code and the projects?  One of the
problems I heard expressed from last year was that once the money dried
up the developers vanished, leaving what they had done at whatever state
it was at.  While this might be acceptable for improvements to existing
projects, it wasn't very good for brand new projects.

I think we seriously need to look at how to use these folks in the best
way possible, and I honestly thing starting a bunch of projects from
scratch is a bad use.  Have them work on improving some project with
code that can be maintainable after they leave.  Basically approach it
with the idea that as soon as the summer is over, the developer will be
vanished, and we have to take what they've done and continue it somehow.

--
Jesse Keating
Release Engineer: Fedora