[fab] Split Fedora-Announce-List

Luke Macken lmacken at redhat.com
Mon Apr 17 21:06:19 UTC 2006

On Mon, Apr 17, 2006 at 02:58:39PM -0400, Bill Nottingham wrote:
> Rahul Sundaram (sundaram at fedoraproject.org) said:.
> > > We already use mailman categories for each release; users already have
> > > the option to only see what they want.
> >.
> > I dont think many people have a clue on what mailman categories are and
> > how to use them.
>.
> Opportunities for education. I think the overhead of having to
> continually create and maintain different mailing lists (and
> point all the update announcements at different places per release,
> etc.) isn't worth it.
>
> We could go down the RHN route.... most general package updates
> aren't announced, and data is pulled from the update tool. How's
> that advisory-in-pup work going?

That sounds like a good option to me.  The other day I wrote up some
notes[0] on bringing the update system out from under it's rock, which
would help bring a bit more cohesion between the core/extras/legacy
projects.  The update system would have no problem firing off emails all
day, so both are viable options.

The metadata generation code is already in the update system, and having
all update notifications stream through a pup applet sounds like a good
approach.

luke

[0]: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Infrastructure/UpdateSystem