[fab] Re: Kadischi : Legal issues

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Tue Apr 18 17:02:07 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-04-18 at 12:50 -0400, Greg DeKoenigsberg wrote:
> This is correct, as I understand it, with one notable caveat:
>
> I believe that you must then pull the Fedora trademarks out.  Which
> is,
> IIRC, pretty straightforward.  We may want to present a helpful guide
> on
> how to do that.

Which brings us to the OEM vendor issue which I talked to you (Greg)
about a few months ago.  Vendors want to pre-install the popular distro,
things that people know, say Fedora.  However they also want to be able
to value-add to their customers, such as hardware tools (Raid managers),
support tools (click me to get customer support), modules for new
hardware, etc...  These types of things would normally cause the vendor
to have to go the route of removing logos and calling it something else,
thus confusing the customer base.

Instead I would really like to see an OEM program where they can still
call it Fedora, or Fedora Plus or something along those lines, and still
use the Logo.  In order to do this, they should have to provide to the
customer the unmodified media sets, and have an 'opt-out' option to get
JUST Fedora w/out the vendor enhancements (when possible w/ the hardware
sold), and then provide media of the Vendor's enhancements.  I don't
really have any legal ideas on how to make this happen, but I really do
think we need to tackle the OEM issue sooner rather than the continued
later.

--
Jesse Keating
Release Engineer: Fedora