[fab] project hosting?

seth vidal skvidal at linux.duke.edu
Wed Apr 19 13:50:50 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-04-19 at 06:42 -0700, Karsten Wade wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-04-19 at 09:12 -0400, seth vidal wrote:
> > > However, the benefit of sharing a platform is much, much more than the
> > > sum of the parts.
> > >
> > > The benefit of a full platform like CollabNet or Gforge is like the
> > > difference of a proper CMS over cobbled-together publishing + Wiki.
> >
> > However, for many people who are not fulltime editors or fulltime
> > developers the difference you allude to in the above is non-existent.
>
> And now that I've got the glib response out of my system :), let me
> actually show what I mean:
>
> Bootstrapping a New Sub-Project in Fedora
> of another PMC.  Extras SIGs.  Cross-group project such as Kadischi.
> Etc.
>
> 1. Get a Fedora account
>   1.1 Sign CLA
>   1.2 Request various CVS accesses
> 2. Get Wiki edit access, create a Wiki page.
> 4. Find a project with their own CVS administrators who will host your
> module(s) for you.  Get the module(s) created and do your initial
> import.
> 5. Write about it on your blog; get used to that, this is one of your
> main "announcement" channels.
> 6. Post announcements to existing lists to attract other people.
> 7. Reuse the manual wheel of FLOSS development practices within your new
> project.
> 8. Walk your project members who need it through the process of steps 1
> and 2.
>
> All-in-one Collaboration Web App Method
> ---------------------------------------
>
> This could be hosted (SF.net as Colin offered, devnation.redhat.com) or
> our own instance (Gforge, savannah, etc.).
>
> 1. Get an account on the Web app
> 2. Use the Web app to create your project, request approval.
> 3. When the project is approved, start committing code.
> 4. Invite users with existing accounts in the Web app to join.
> 5. Use your announce at projectname.devnation.fedoraproject.org, then post
> links to that and details to appropriate, existing Fedora mailing lists.
> 6. Reuse the automated features designed and built to support FLOSS
> development practices within your new project.
>
> These are fewer steps, sure, but they are also much, much easier.  The
> system walks one through project creation, v. right now where the
> knowledge is buried on the Wiki and shared again and again between
> community leaders.
>
> My thinking is, yes, it is worth it to have an all-in-one collaboration
> system.  From there, the road is less clear. :)

then let me walk you through a different way:

Current model:
1. all the parts you mentioned
2. as a developer be intimately aware of all the moving parts that go on
3. when the system is changed be able to change your practices simply by
modifying a few lines of a makefile.

All-in-one-model:
1. all the parts you mentioned
2. when the all-in-one system stops being developed  or becomes
commercial code you become hopelessly lost and left out in the cold b/c
you don't know how the pieces work you only know how to press the big
web-interface button.
3. be angry b/c your code is overwritten with virus/warez/pr0n b/c there
are no more security audits going on of the, now abandoned, all-in-one
wonder system.

-sv