[fab] project hosting?

Karsten Wade kwade at redhat.com
Wed Apr 19 21:01:01 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-04-19 at 09:50 -0400, seth vidal wrote:
> then let me walk you through a different way:
>
> Current model:
> 1. all the parts you mentioned
> 2. as a developer be intimately aware of all the moving parts that go on
> 3. when the system is changed be able to change your practices simply by
> modifying a few lines of a makefile.

Just note that this system is _very_ intimidating to many potential
contributors.  I'd posit it is more intimidates more than it excites, in
terms of new people.

So, the purpose is as much to attract and facilitate new contributors,
and ideally does not freak with the lives of existing contributors. :)

> All-in-one-model:
> 1. all the parts you mentioned
> 2. when the all-in-one system stops being developed  or becomes
> commercial code you become hopelessly lost and left out in the cold b/c
> you don't know how the pieces work you only know how to press the big
> web-interface button.
> 3. be angry b/c your code is overwritten with virus/warez/pr0n b/c there
> are no more security audits going on of the, now abandoned, all-in-one
> wonder system.

I share your concerns.  Personally, I want to see a blended model, with
different interfaces into existing systems.  Perhaps that's easier if we
host our own e.g. Gforge the way we host our own Wiki and CMS.  Because
I'm personally in charge of our Developer Nation collaboration portal,
I'm in a unique position to set governance from the start that
guarantees that free == free forevermore.

FWIW, I was working at VA Linux Systems when SourceForge was forked and
closed, and have long held concern about enclosing projects in hosted
scenarios that have other motives they perceive as being higher than
FLOSS.  If, after some due research, this group feels that CollabNet
also should not be trusted for the same risk, then my recommendation
shifts over to hosting our own from a trusted FLOSS source such as
savannah or gforge.  If/when that happens, I'll be there to lend my
recent experiences and skills. :)

- Karsten
--
Karsten Wade, RHCE *    Sr. Editor   * http://people.redhat.com/kwade/
Fedora Documentation Project http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/DocsProject

Learn. Network. Experience open source.
Red Hat Summit Nashville  |  May 30 - June 2, 2006
Learn more: http://www.redhat.com/promo/summit/