[fab] Google's Summer of Code 2006

Patrick W. Barnes nman64 at n-man.com
Thu Apr 20 22:09:18 UTC 2006

On Thursday 20 April 2006 11:44, Max Spevack <mspevack at redhat.com> wrote:
> So let's wrap this thread up.  Here's the "Mentoring FAQ" from Google
> http://code.google.com/soc/mentorfaq.html
>
> I don't see anything on there that offers a compelling reason why we
> shouldn't do this program.  Fedora doesn't *lose* anything, and depending
> on how well we get ourselves organized and what projects we suggest (and
> it appears that we can suggest *anything* we want), in theory we stand to
> gain a considerable amount.
>
> I didn't see anything in their FAQ about licensing, etc.  But I assume the
> code is GPL'd or has some sort of friendly license that allows us to
> re-use it.

We actually determine the licensing of the code, and the student owns
copyright and can assign it to us (per the CLA).  The only requirement is
that we use an OSI-approved license.  There should be no problems there.

> In my opinion, we might as well do it, but if we're going to, let's put
> the people who believe in it most behind it.  I'd like to nominate Patrick
> to be the primary Mentor contact (what Elliot did last year) and ask
> members of f-a-b who have time and are excited about the program to help
> make a list of projects, etc.
>
> Really, this is all work that we need to do anyway.  Figuring out what a
> whole bunch of moderately-sized projects that Fedora needs work done on
> are, cataloging them somewhere, and being able to provide
> mentoring/support to folks who are working on them.

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FedoraBounties
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/SummerOfCode

We created the FedoraBounties page for this program last year, and we have a
live thread in fedora-devel-list bringing up ideas.  We'll just need to
cultivate those ideas and add them to the page.

--
Patrick "The N-Man" Barnes
nman64 at n-man.com

http://www.n-man.com/