[fab] brand v. proprietary

Karsten Wade kwade at redhat.com
Sat Apr 22 17:15:39 UTC 2006

Based on recent discussions, I think it is going to be a non-starter for
me to further encourage the use of the physical, CollabNet-based
platform that Developer Nation is running on at devnation.redhat.com.
I'm not entirely withdrawing the offer, but I no longer recommend it.

The Developer Nation brand is another thing, though.  Red Hat is going
to put considerable effort into this, and the idea of the brand
separates it a bit from "Red Hat Foo Bar Baz".  Thus ...

I propose that we extend Developer Nation's non-borders to include
Fedora and begin work on putting up a FLOSS collaboration suite[1] at
devnation.fedoraproject.org.

We lose everything from single-sign and database sharing with
devnation.redhat.com, but that probably matters less than it appears.
After all, hyperlinking still works. :)

The Developer Nation idea is nation without borders because we are
trying to dissolve traditional barriers to community and collaboration
that corporate walls create.  In that sense, Fedora is not already
within the Developer Nation, but is actually one of the leaders we all
need to watch and embrace.  My proposal is to formalize that
relationship and wrap infrastructure around it.

If you do want to take advantage of Red Hat's offer in this case, I'll
continue work on resolving how to make *.devnation.fedoraproject.org do
the right thing.

If we want to proceed with identifying and starting up a collaboration
suite, I volunteer to be on that committee and make it happen.

- Karsten
--
Karsten Wade, RHCE *    Sr. Editor   * http://people.redhat.com/kwade/
Fedora Documentation Project http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/DocsProject

Learn. Network. Experience open source.
Red Hat Summit Nashville  |  May 30 - June 2, 2006
Learn more: http://www.redhat.com/promo/summit/