[fab] Re: "community maintainers working on core" dilemma

Christopher Blizzard blizzard at redhat.com
Wed Aug 9 18:50:46 UTC 2006

Greg DeKoenigsberg wrote:
> OK.  So let's say, for the sake of argument, we create a CVS mirror called
> "fedora-core-community" or some such, out on cvs.fedora.redhat.com.  This
> immediately brings us to tricky question #1:
>
> How do we sync from fedora-core to fedora-core-community, and when?
>
> This question, or some variant of it, is what has led us into the current
> endless technical debate.
>
> What's wrong with someone sending a patch to bugzilla saying "this is a
> patch to version foo-13.1.77"?  It may not be as "correct", but it seems
> simpler to me.  It's something we could do *today* with almost no further
> discussion.

It seems to me that it's not the fact that patches are getting lost, or
that people aren't uploading it.  Part of it is that it requires a human
to filter and maintainers are already overloaded as it is.  Why isn't it
that we can't have a system that keeps track of changes, let's anyone
try out a change without a hassle and then the patches that people are
using are filtered automatically to the top of a maintainer's queue?
Something like this would make people wildly more productive, connecting
developers, users and maintainers easily without the tools getting in
the way.

Yeah, this means stepping outside of the usual bugzilla and rpm
mindsets.  But we could be doing so much better.

--Chris